Friday, November 13, 2015

About me - Mom


My kids told me that the previous post wasn't about me and that I need to write something more personal.

I'm a 44 years old mom, born in Managua. My family purchased the land that is now Selva Negra in 1975, although both my parents are 4th generation coffee producers, their ancestors sold their land to other relatives and/or out of family hands. My parents wanted to get back into the family business of coffee and purchased Selva Negra. Unfortunately in 1979, we left the country, and moved out of Nicaragua. I lived in Costa Rica, Miami, Houston, Miami Springs, Tallahassee, Akron, New York City, Ithaca, and Stanley, NY before returning to Nicaragua. My husband and I met in Akron, OH while on a systems consulting project and moved to NYC together where I got my masters in tourism at NYU. We set our roots down in Stanley, NY a beautiful part of New York State where Don's family is from. After both our kids were born and we were thinking we were settled in for a long run, my mom told me that if we didn't come run the hotel she would close the doors, she was tired.

So, that is what brought us to Nicaragua, and to Selva Negra. Now instead of road trips to Vermont, Pennsylvania and Canada. We're headed to Ometepe, Boaco and Rio San Juan, our hopes is to take you with us and provide a resource we have lacked when planning our own trips.

I love to travel in order to experience different cultures, ways of thinking, scenery and attitudes. I love good food and good restaurants, but with nut allergy kids it's always a challenging issue finding places that understand allergies and are tolerant to our needs. I love to host our friends and family, it gives us a good excuse to explore Nicaragua and show off some of it's gorgeous places and people.

I hope my kids approve of this post as more of a personal one about their mom.

Hosting friends from NY at Selva Negra



1 comment: